Sunday, May 06, 2007

Deliver me from temptation, or, newly added additions in my overflowing books

After my training yesterday afternoon, I headed to Borders in Berjaya Time Square just for some reading, but darn, Borders is having its annual discount, with 15% off for all English books. Many books there were shouting: "Own me! Own me!", how can I be so cruel not listening to their pleas? Unable to resist this temptation, part of my salary flew to this international bookseller.

Urgh, when can I resist the temptation of buying books?

Anyway, the two newly members to my already overflowing books are:

1. The Hermetic Museum: Alchemy & Mysticism by Alexander Roob



I always like art books published by Taschen, they are in very fine quality and comes in various subjects, many of them are those you wouldn't know exist until you saw them. My first Taschen book is Description of Egypt, a trilingual (English, French and German) art book adapted from the 23 volume tomes on the ancient and then (Napoleonic) modern Egypt. And this Alchemy and Mysticism is another fine example of Taschen's contribution in the work of arts and esotericism. Actually I already saw a few copies of this book displaying in the "New Age" section of Midvalley MPH, but thanks to Borders I manage to get a copy in a cheaper price.

All I can say about this book is that it's beauty, simply breathtakingly beautiful. A collection of drawing, engraving and charts from Middle Ages to Renaissance, this tome takes you to a historical and mystical tour to the world of alchemy and hermeticism. the visions of William Blake, Hildegard von Bingen, Jacob Böhme and other mystics become vivid and unbelievably touching. Alexander Roob's erudite explanations of the plates are enriching and enlightening, the reader cannot help but deeply admire the wisdoms of the alchemists of the past.

If published by other publishers, this book would cost more than a few hundred ringgit, but thanks to Taschen, this book costs less than RM55.

I insist that anyone who is interested in the field of metaphysics and esotericism go and grab a copy of this book.

However, while mentioning the Hindu alchemy, the book largely ignores the Arabic / Islamic and Chinese alchemy which undeniably contributed to this mystical art. If Taschen could publish another book on Arabic / Islamic and Chinese alchemy, then this would simply be one of the most wonderful things that ever exist in this world.

2. Voodoo and Afro-Caribbean Paganism by Lilith Dorsey



African disaporic religions in Caribbean and in the Americas are the most misunderstood and most discriminated religions in world. Many people, ignorant of the truth about these religions, bluntly accuse them as primitive superstition or satanism.

This is a saddening fact, and this ignorance still haunts a large part of our world. Thus, anyone that claims himself or herself as an adherent of such religion is doomed to be discriminated or even persecuted.

Far from being primitive nonsense, African diasporic religions are among the most beautiful, vibrant and uplifting spiritualities in the world. They give strenghth and power for their adherents to survive in this harsh world, bring them closer to the divinity.

Lilith Dorsey's insightful book provide a concise and comprehensive description on these religions, dispelling myths and misconceptions that plague the mind of those who are ignorant of these religions. Highly recommended for those interested in religious study.

2 Comments:

Blogger Magus Young said...

Now my fellow Keeper of Higher Magic, you'd have to differentiate yourself from a book reader to a book collector. I suffer from both, and its a permanent disorder!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Nishiki said...

To love books is the most wretchful and the sweetest curse the gods ever put on me. I will have to bear this curse for the rest of my life.

If, what Jorge Luis Borges said is true, "I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library", my curse would only be lessen once the gods allow me to enter their loftly celestial bibliotheque...

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home