Mega Therion Superstar
Finally, a movie about our beloved Master Therion!I got to know about this movie about Aleister Crowley through the Wild Hunt blog, and initially I thought it is an autobiography about the Mega Therion, but later I found out that the story sets in present day Cambridge, about a modern day reincarnation of the Beast wrecking havoc, flirting pretty girls and conducting bloody sacrifice.
From the sypnosis, it seems that our Master Therion is portrayed as the most wicked man in the world, a black magician who performed unspeakable Satanic rituals. Though not a flattering portrait of the founder of Thelema, I can imagine that no Thelemite would bother to bomb the theaters and yell "Death to the infidels who dared to insult our prophet!" Perhaps Mr. Ankh-af-na-Khonsu himself would feel amused by this movie.
I have no idea if there is any chance to see this movie screening in our local theaters, but I do hope at least I can get the DVD.
The trailer gives me the impression that this movie is actually more comical than horror, and there are actually a lot of occult puns here and there, like z93 or Dr. Mathers (this made me chuckled) , kind of reminding me the Ghostbuster's episode on Cthulhu.
The reviewers' responses are mixed. LAShTAL.com praised the movies as "an amusing romp, an effective fundamentally English comedy", but Den of Geek is less than approval, " it just feels like it was shot from an unpolished first draft", but all critics agree that Simon Callow did an astonishing job portraying his role.
Though I am very interested to watch this movie, I think a more complex, authentic portray of the life of the Beast would be much more interesting.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home