New Project: A Demonic Pastime
The demon Belial at the Mouth of Hell, from Jacob de Teramo's Das Buch Belial, 15th century. Image source: Gode CookeryFew weeks ago, out of boredom, I decided to translate a 15th century French treatise of demonology. I stumbled upon le Livre des Esperitz in a French website about Middle Ages, and is pleasingly surprised to see this rare work published online for the first time. The book is significant for being the first French treatise of demonology of this kind.
Like Johannes Wier's much more famous Pseudomonarchia Daemonum and the Goetia, le Livre des Esperitz is a catalogue of various demons, 46 in total, including some of the familliar demons in the Goetia, but unlike the Goetia, it merely gives short descriptions of each of the 46 demons, without any evocation rituas given.
I will post the full book here once I have finished translating it.
Like Johannes Wier's much more famous Pseudomonarchia Daemonum and the Goetia, le Livre des Esperitz is a catalogue of various demons, 46 in total, including some of the familliar demons in the Goetia, but unlike the Goetia, it merely gives short descriptions of each of the 46 demons, without any evocation rituas given.
I will post the full book here once I have finished translating it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home